Saturday, February 14, 2009

Where is peace?

It seems the world is in turmoil. As I read the headlines I see recession, war, pain and suffering, yet it has always been like that since we were exiled from the Garden of Eden. I wonder sometimes how much I am supposed to care about all this. It can get pretty depressing, in fact it is incredibly easy to fall into despair because I can't change it. I want to help, but there are limitations to what I can do. And it seems those who are in positions of power and could help, often let the ball drop. I'm hoping that when the ball comes to me I will be able to field it and do the right thing, whatever that is, but in the meantime, I am battling sadness for all the pain of humanity. Further, though I have known Jesus as my loving Saviour for more than 40 years, I have experienced such a hunger for the Lord for the last two and a half years that I thought I would die for longing.
For the last few days, though, things have brightened. Not that outward circumstances have changed, but that I have changed. I have been taking communion each morning. First I ask forgiveness for sin and make sure I have forgiven others for we must never take the Lord's supper without these disciplines. Then I ask that the bread and cup be the body and blood of my Lord to my body, that He would be truly in me. The results have been amazing. There is a peace and calm that I can't explain. The despair is gone. I still feel emotions and concerns, but the hopelessness is gone. It seems there is a pillow in my soul that prevents the happenings of the day from striking at my core. Instead my core is now stable. And the presence of the Lord is sweetly gentle and peaceable in my spirit. I am going to continue this consecration for 21 days. I will post the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment